That Jane Austen really knows what she is talking about



When I was around 12 my grandma gave me the book "Pride and Prejudice"  I was an avid reader at the time.  With all the diligence of a pre teen I read that book.  I tried to understand the Elizabethan text.  Im not sure how much I understood.  I just knew in the end she choose Mr. Darcy.  
Fast forward to the era of A&E, I watched and fell in love with "Pride and Prejudice"  The sweetest love story.  Now fast forward to watching my girls navigate their teens and beyond. The text of that book seems to have even more application now.   Its funny how she had such a grip on relationships, loyalty and love.  Most all actions can be traced to pride and prejudice, no matter how loving or vengeful.   We act out of pride at times because we feel we should have had the honor or the power.  We act because our Pride is hurt. We are prejudice because of what we have heard about a certain person with out really finding out the truth ourselves.  Or vice versa we bestow love and loyalty on those around us at times who dont deserve our affections because of the prejudice of popularity or social station.   We have all done it and we have all been the recipient of pride and prejudice.
So the trick is I think to try to put our prejudice and pride aside and really be honest with ourselves, do I really know thats true? Do I know the whole story?  Am I being prideful? Should I be loyal? ect.  
In a perfect world right. 
  "The whole of this unfortunate business," said Dr. Lyster, "has been the result of PRIDE and PREJUDICE. ... 
In short: “When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following: Stop it!”
-President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

0 comments: